Licensing Permits and Taxes for Festival Craft Show and Art Fair Vendors

October 2009

Taking the time up front to ensure you meet all legal requirements for your business will save you time and money in the long-run. The three areas to pay attention to are:

. Licenses
. Taxes
. Permits

In almost all instances you will need a license in order to sell at craft fairs and shows. The show promoter will usually list the necessary requirements on their applications. You can also check with both the city and state fairly simply. The following government site is free and provides links to almost all the state sites you need to find the licenses.

In order to get a state sales tax license you’ll be required to provide your federal tax id number, specifically, your Federal Employer Identification Number or EIN. This is the number you receive when you registered your business as a sole proprietorship, LLC, corporation etc.

Although the procedure may differ slightly from state to state, in most states you can apply for a state sales tax license online at the state government website or you can pick up an application at your local county office. There is no charge for the form or for the sales tax license.

It typically does not take long to receive your sales tax license, but want to apply well in advance of your first show. It will be mailed to you and is usually good for one year. In addition, in most cases, it will renew each year that you pay your sales taxes.

The amount of sales tax varies among the states. Know the exact tax rate of the states where you conduct business and collect them. You don’t want to later find yourself liable for uncollected sales tax. Usually, you pay sales taxes on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis, depending on your gross sales in that state.

In some cities there are also county and municipal sales taxes, that addition to state sales tax. They may even require a temporary sales license. It is a good idea to check with show organizers to determine all the requirements for selling at a particular show.


While this is not the case with all shows and fairs, in some areas you may need a permit in order to sell in that local area or municipality. If you are not sure and you are attending a show for the first time, it is always a good idea to contact the show organizers and find out whether you are required to obtain a permit. It is always better to check on this in advance and make certain that you know what is required before you arrive and discover that you do not have all of the required paperwork.

If you are selling food, you will have additional state, county and city health regulations, permits and inspections you may have to consider. Again, the show promoter should be very aware of the requirements all vendors must meet and most likely can provide contact the permits. If you can’t get this information local city government office for help.



This is a great article on how to get licenses, permits and what to do about state taxes.  DIdn’t know cities and counties had taxes I had to pay attention to too.

By Wana Do Shows on September 24, 2009

Get your EIN number over the phone 800-829-4933.  You can call the IRS and in a few minutes get your free tax ID number.  I didn’t realize how easy it wasy.  You can also register for it online or via snail mail.  Just did it over the phone and wanted to share.

By Georgia's Glass on September 24, 2009

What tips do you have for finding a commissary restaurant?

By Sly Vann on September 24, 2010

Will I need a temp.sales license for a one day show in PA if I have an out of state business license?

By Ellen Hockensmith on September 23, 2013

Do i need a PERMIT to sell crafts and things at flea markets and farmer markets ?

By marvin whitehead on April 7, 2015

What do I need to obtain to sell crafts and antiques at flea markets, festivals and farmer markets?  Also, am I able to do fairs in neighboring states once I obtain what I need from DE. I currently live in New Castle County, Middletown DE

By Kathleen Locker on April 13, 2015

I would like to have an art/craft sale at my home.  Do I need a permit for this?  I live in Washington County, Oregon.

Thank you,

By Sally Kramer on August 4, 2015

I am trying to find out how I would go about getting I license permit to sell merchandise at the craft fairs.

By Bonnie Martino on November 2, 2015

I am trying to find out how I would go about getting I license permit to sell merchandise at the craft fairs in Florida

By frank schwartz on November 11, 2015

how do i get a venders permit for craft shows

By carol on December 28, 2015

I would like to sell at a Farmers Market in Kansas. Do, I need to get a sales tax I.D.?

By Jeremy on December 31, 2015

found this information easy to understand. Thanks

By Rebecca Jackson on June 2, 2016

I am new at this and would like to get my vendor license and would like to get started 28th my crafts. If you can please give me all the information that would be great.

By Tia Fisher on July 5, 2016

I am trying to find out how I would go about getting I license permit to sell merchandise at the craft fairs. I only do 3 per year

By Mildred on July 9, 2016

A friend and I would like to do craft shows and festivals in the fall.
We make Hand Made knit, crochet and fabric clothing articles and accessories.  One form asked for Tax ID certificate. Can you help direct us.

By Two Friends Creations on July 26, 2016

I need information for my art shows coming up in about 6 months and need tax things and permits, I live in Mo 63670

By Susan Bimes on August 15, 2016

Do you know if I were to sell art at festivals in different cities in California, would I have to get a permit for each individual city?

By JERRI JENSEN on August 24, 2016

My daughter lives in Sacramento CA,  she’s wanting to do craft fairs,  what does she need to do to get a sellers permit?

By Lila on August 28, 2016

I am just starting out in making custom made jewelry and I need to find out what I need to do to be able to sell my merchandise at the craft fairs and flea markets, or to set up anywhere permitted that will let me sell my crafts Any help on this matter will be very much appreciated!.

By Bonnie J. Martino on August 29, 2016

I currently own a small school in the state of Iowa. I am holding a craft show in it.
I will not be personally selling a thing. Do I still have to
Have a city or state permit?

By Rhonda Howard on September 1, 2016

My daughters dance team is putting together a craft fair to raise money.
What permits to we need in order to do this.  We are having outside vendors attend and most are selling items like _Mary Kay, Scentsy items of that nature.  I am assuming those people will need their own Tax permit…but what will us as the people holding the fair need to obtain so we will not get shut down??
Live in Fort Worth Tx.

By heather on September 8, 2016

How do I get a permit to sell craft

By Carol A Johngrass on October 28, 2016

I’m just about to start organizing craft shows in Houston but I can’t find information about what permits do I need to start, do you happen to have some information about it?

By roy on October 31, 2016

I am selling my art at a fair this coming weekend, Nov. 12 & 13. do I need an EIN and a tax ID? And what is the quickest way to do this? Thanks, so confusing!

By Denise Balcanoff on November 7, 2016

I am selling my art at a fair this coming weekend, Nov. 29. do I need an EIN and a tax ID? And what is the quickest way to do this? Thanks,!

By chris on November 8, 2016

do i need a sales tax license to sell homemade jelwery?

By evelyn cappaert on November 9, 2016

what is needed to sell artwork in Florida , at craft fairs , flea markets or online sales.

By Deb on November 18, 2016

Hi, i am the event promoter and will be putting on a 3 day vintage show in South Carolina (North Augusta), am I required to have a permit and also are my vendors required to have permit or anything like that?

By Scott on December 14, 2016

What type of license I need to sell jewelry for the holidays and school events

By Flor Sanchez-Ortega on December 19, 2016

in new york, you should have a tax number for all shows, craft fairs etc you do. Many people do not which makes me upset. It is free. All you have to remember to do is in Feb is report your earnings to Albany. If it is zero for whatever reason, you report that. So many people do not have a tax number and do not have to report earning.

By Donna on December 21, 2016

I am just starting out in making jewelry/crochet items and I need to find out what I need to do to be able to sell my merchandise at the craft fairs and flea markets, or to set up anywhere permitted that will let me sell my crafts Any help on this matter will be very much appreciated!.

By Lillian Reyes on January 6, 2017

Wgere do I apply to get a license that allows me to not pay taxes on supplies needed for the crafts?

By pat rossi on February 6, 2017

I am a permanent resident of Montana but I currently reside in Ohio. I want to do business in any state travel to. With what type of license do I accomplish this

By J.C. on February 8, 2017

hi do i need a tax id in nc for selling handmade items if im over 65

By sandra errico on February 24, 2017

Hi! I am a real newbie at this.  I am starting a business making wreaths.  I will soon have a website and Facebook page.  I would love to sell my wreaths at craft fairs and festivals to.  I am sure I need a tax i.d. # and a business license.  The tax I.d. I can get from the IRS.  Where do I get a business license?  I live in Northern Kentucky.  Also, if I want to sell at craft fairs around the country, do I need a license for that as well?  Where do I get one?  Thank you in advance for your help!

By Angie Blakemore on March 9, 2017

It looks like I have the same questions as many others.Things have changed since the last time I went on the road.I want to sell crystals and minerals at festivals but these days the red tape is mind boggling.I would like to sell in New York State,Pennsylvania,Maryland(where I live)  Virginia,North Carolina and South Carolina.I also want a permit that includes a Sal es and Use Tax Return.If someone can give me a simple step by step guide I sure would be grateful.It seems like just one license should be out there for us little people that work from a tiny pick-up truck.

By Randolph Peters on March 20, 2017

Hi,i am a retired 70 year old & I would like to participate in about 3 craft shows a year in New Jersey to sell my hand painted Gourd birdhouses.How do I go about registering my business & will I be required to collect sales tax on the items I sell,if so how do I go about doing what is required.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Fram Cama

By Fram Cama on March 27, 2017

This is so new to me. Now that I

By Tabi Holland on May 17, 2017

We are a nonprofit organization - Sinag-Tala Filipino Theater and performance arts association and we participate every year with the Filipino Fiesta at Jos Rizal Community Center in Sacramento, Ca. We are always looking for ways to do fundraising .  This will be under the umbrella of thePhilipinne National Day Association.  We would like to sell “halo-halo”.  Its a mix of ice cream, evaporated m, ice, bottled coconu and fruits.
It would all be mixed at the tent.  Do we need a food permit?  Do we need to have the people who handle the food have a food certificate class?  Can we do that online and where?

By Rufina Gee on May 23, 2017

Faz hoje congelar pra tomar a manha cedo.

By Jeffery on July 8, 2017

Hi there would you mind sharinng which blog platform you’re working with?
I’m planning to start my own blog in the
near future but I’m having a hard time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal.

The reason I ask is because your design seems different then most blogs and I’m looking
for something unique.  P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had too ask!

By The Workbook on Twitter on September 30, 2017

I just moved to Indianapolis and wanted to participate in some craft show and wanted to know if I needed vendors license to sell my crafts and if so what permit or license do I need for the state of Indiana or the city of Indianapolis

Alice Ives

By alice ives on October 17, 2017

Hi, I am trying to what I need to do to be able to sell my crafts at some shows in Mississippi. Do not have clue as to where to start or who to ask about permits, taxes, and licensing. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

By Donna Courtney on October 31, 2017

I am going to promote my first vintage market.  I am in CA.  Besides a general day permit, what taxes would I be liable for.  I will be charging a booth rental fee, but that is it.

By Barb on December 19, 2017

I’m trying to start my own food booth at events coming into utah this summer I’m not sure the whole process I really want to start asap.

By Fatima Khan on January 13, 2018

I want to be a vendor at the art fairs, what is it I need EIN number, Tax ID NUMBER, A SELLERS permit? and where do I get this at?

By sonya r hill on January 18, 2018

How do I go about getting a tax License to sell at a craft show

By Debbie on February 21, 2018

I am a senior citizen & would like to sell my hand painted Gourd birdhouses at a few craft shows in New Jersey.
How do I go about getting a tax ID number &  What permits would I need ?.,also do I need to collect sales tax from my customers ?.
Thank you.

By Fram Cama on March 8, 2018

I’m a retired graphics person and have shot personal/hobby wildlife photos for many years (thousands of images) and thought I’d do prints of the best images and see if some might sell at craft/art fair venues. Basically I’m looking for input on the best business vehicle—sole prop., LLC, or what have you, with the least amount of hoops, tax reportings etc. since this is not going to be a making a living type venture. It will be nice if it does generate some sales and cover expenses with some profit though. I get filing the permits, tax ID’s and stuff but what route would seem most advantageous in the context I outlined?

By Vaughn on March 10, 2018

Hello there, I am totally new at this please help. So, if i have LLC in NC and i would like to participate in a art & Craft fair in SC. What do i need ? Just the arts and crafts licence ? or anything else ?

By Belevia on April 30, 2018

How much does cost for a license to sell crafts at fairs flea market

By Jean porter on May 23, 2018

I just started a men grooming product company.  I will be selling 100 % natural beard oil ,beard balm, beard wash, mustache wax and soap. I have a EIN, how do I find arts and craft shows to register for in Texas.  Also, do I need to get an LLC or permit to participate in any shows once information is made available.  I have only being in business for 5 days.

By Denise Smith on June 4, 2018

Hi - I’m wanting to sell my homemade Carmel Corrn and crafts to local market and crafts sales .. What do I need to do?

By Jennifer Roher on August 19, 2018

I find it difficult and confusing to determine exactly what licenses i need to promote and run a craft festival in MA?

I have a state promotor license.

do i need any other licenses and if so, please show me a sample of the final license (s) issued by the state of MA

thank you

By Robert G Ralston on September 9, 2018

I’m participating for the first time in a craft fair. I don’t have a business, is only a hobby.I decorate empty bottles for Christmas. Do I need a permit for this?

By Naida Ortiz on October 7, 2018

Leave a comment



Please enter the word you see in the image below:

find festivals
within miles
      Advanced Search


Sign up for complimentary newsletter and event listings.

join our community now
sign up now

If already a member Click here to Login